There are many things that I have learned to appreciate in the last year... my health, the health of the ones that I care about, my family, my friends, a warm home and I could go on and on. However, today is the once a month "Friend's Theme Dinner" and I have ice cream to make and pineapple to grill.
Last year, a high school classmate and friend passed away very suddenly. It was a shock to all of us, a tragedy to be sure. After the service, a small group of close high school friends went to lunch together. In spite of the sad reason for the gathering, we had a great time and we all remarked that it was indeed a tragedy that it took something like the death of a friend to get us to take the time from our lives to be together. That afternoon we vowed that we would get together with our families once a month no matter what. Each of us would rotate hosting at our houses and everyone would bring a dish so that all the work didn't fall on the hostess. To make it fun and interesting, we agreed that the hostess would decide the "theme" and everyone's dishes had to follow the theme.
I am so happy to report that we have maintained the monthly dinner since then, (with once small exception), and it has been a rousing success! We have had an Italian night, a Mexican fiesta, a Summer cookout, an appetizer extravaganza and many more fun themes! More than enjoying the wonderful food, I personally have cherished the time spent with the best of friends. It is a delight to see our children playing together and even our husbands have begun having their own playdates together! ;)
Life has taught me many lessons these past months and I don't know what the future holds for any of us. But I hope that we continue this tradition into our dotages. These days I appreciate those close to me more and more, and I know that they are there to support me and help me through whatever may come. I hope they are just as confident that I am here for them, too.
Uhhhh, the ice cream maker just stopped, so I better get on it! Have a great weekend everyone! :)
Amen. March 3rd is the one year anniversary of Lori's death. I was thinking about that this morning. Good friends should keep in touch through thick and thin. See you tonight. We might me a tad late. :) Liz
ReplyDelete