Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Passing of Time...

One year ago tomorrow my Father underwent neurosurgery at Georgetown University to reduce the size of a tumor nestled in the frontal lobe of his brain.  I will never forget the feeling of sitting in the surgical waiting room dumping coffee into an already roiling stomach as we waited for the surgeon to tell us how the surgery went.  And I will never forget the words that the man in the black scrubs said that morning. "Glioblastoma Multiforme". Ugly words with even uglier implications.  But that morning we were ready to do battle with the monster, and my Dad put up one hell of a fight.

Grief is supposed to lighten with the passage of time.  But I have found it has just morphed and matured into various and different moments of sorrow; profound moments of absence, dull aching memories and sudden spontaneous tears of sadness. 

We miss you, Dad.

2 comments:

  1. Grief never ends, but it changes.
    It is a passage, not a place to stay.
    The sense of loss must give way
    if we are to value the life that was lived.
    – Author unknown

    Everyone's journey is different I'm positive you will find your way in your own time
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. An arm that I can lean on, a hand that shows the way,
    a shoulder for my comfort, a smile that makes my day...
    your wisdom for the asking, your strength when I request...
    of all the fathers in the world, God gave to me the best!

    ReplyDelete