Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fathers

Obviously, I have been thinking a lot lately about my Dad.  My father is one of the greatest men I have ever met.  He is a great Dad.  Always there to lend a hand or help if we ever need anything.  Strong. Very strong. And funny! Always a smile and a joke. More profoundly to me of late, I am acutely aware that he is the other half of My Parents.  Always together, supporting each other when they support us.

Today, I went over to my parents to have breakfast.  I made pancakes for he, Mom, Maddie and myself.  It was really nice.  Then we went for a walk.  As we walked, I realized that we all slow our pace in order for Dad to keep up.  And talk about things of no consequence.  For my Dad.

My husband is a great father.  He is fiercely protective.  And stubborn.  And sometimes I feel like an outsider when he and Maddie gang up on me.  But that's a Dad and his Daughter for you.  I hope I never made my Mom feel that way.  If I did, I'm sorry.  I wish that Brittany wasn't missing out on her Dad.  Maybe she's okay with it.  But she will never be able to get back the time that she is losing.  And that devastates me.  And I miss her more than she could possibly ever know.

My brothers are pretty remarkable fathers, too.  I guess that they had a really great example.  I always knew Bob would be, though.  He was always the one that was "in charge".  He was pretty good at it, too.  But Tony surprised me.  And continues to do so.  Every time I see him with those beautiful babies.  It amazes me. 

Right now, I am listening to Jeff tuck Maddie in.  He always covers her up with the 7 blankets she keeps in her bed when she sleeps.  Then when she falls asleep she sweats like crazy and kicks the blankets off.  But he doesn't want her to be cold.  So he does it again before we go to bed.  And in the wee hours of the morning when he gets up to go to work he'll do it again. 

I guess great Fathers are always there to cover you up so you're never cold.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post Julie-it gave my heart a tug & brought a smile to my face. I have only known you & your family for a short time (5 years), but you & your family have always been very friendly & welcoming to me & my family.

    And you are right about Tony-it is amazing to watch him with Broc & Garret :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were always good at putting words on paper, and still are. I have always
    Loved reading stuff you write. Dads can be pretty great, I agree. No one else
    Has a dad that you can really only understand the "bad" words. He cracks me
    Up!! He probably thinks you are an amazing daughter, too. No.....he KNOWS you are. xoxo. Liz

    ReplyDelete