Monday, April 11, 2011

June 15, 1942 - April 11, 2011

A lifetime. My Father's lifetime. Today, my Family stood surrounding my Father and watched as he slipped quietly into eternal rest.  I am at peace with it because I know that he is now at peace and there will be no more suffering for him.

I held his hand, and remembered the times he held mine.  I remembered all the things he built with those hands and the gentle care they took of my Mother when she was sick, and my baby when she was small.  I touched his feet, and remembered all the miles he has walked.  I remembered the steps those feet took in rhythm with mine as he walked me down the aisle on my wedding day.  I touched his legs, once muscular and powerful, and remembered the ladders he climbed to fix things, or to retrieve a wayward basketball stuck on the roof.  I touched his arms, and remembered how they hugged me every time I saw him.  I remembered how he would cross them across his chest when he was standing and getting ready to tell a long story.  I touched his face and remembered all the smiles and laughter that seemed always present when he was around.  I touched his chest, that held the biggest heart of anyone I have ever known.  The heart that held all that is good and meaningful in the world and that overflowed with love for his Wife, his Children, his Grandchildren, his Family and his Friends.

My Father's lifetime did not end today.  He will live on for many more lifetimes because a man like my Father will never truly die- he lives on in us.  In every hand we hold, every decision we make, every hug we give our children, every smile and every step we take. 

Rest peacefully now, Dad.  I love you.

André Paré
June 15, 1942 - April 11, 2011

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful Julie. God Bless....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hard time holding back the tears. Your dad was loved and gave love back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, that is amazing! You are such a strong woman and I know your dad is proud of you. These words are so touching and filled with emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well written. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie I am so very sorry for you loss you will always be Daddy's little girl. I will never forget all the times your Dad made us laugh. I am always Martha.... I am praying for your whole family.... I wish I could be with you and help you through this time. Just know I LOVE YOU and want to be there with you for whatever you would need. You know my whole family is here if you need anything from us we ALL love you very very much. P.S. You write so well you should write a book.

    ReplyDelete