So now what? All the out of town guests are gone, the services and ceremony are over, the food is consumed, and life is supposed to go back to "normal". But it's not normal. It's very, very different. I know that I am not the only person to have ever lost a parent, but I am having trouble figuring out what the new "normal" is. I feel like all of us are smothering my Mother, because this has to be indescribably difficult for her. But part of that is our way of coping also. It is not that we feel her incapable of doing things for herself, my Mother is the single most capable woman that I know. But if we can do something around the house to make the absence of Dad easier, that is what we do. I have never, ever cut the grass at my own house, but I find myself being more than willing to do so at hers, although my brother seems to have that completely under control... (Except, now that I think about it, I don't think he cuts his own his grass, either!)The next two months, in particular, will be very hard for us. Mother's Day, my birthday, Father's Day and his birthday are coming up. His loss will be profound during these times. I knew, but never comprehended, what a monumentally huge part of my life my Father's presence was. I think of him so often and see him everywhere I look. I know that he, his influence in my life, and me as a person will be felt always. I just hope that it doesn't ache like this forever.
Julie my heart genuinely aches for you....every time i read one of your posts lately i yearn for my dad who lives in florida. I cant even imagine how you feel or what it is like... I just know your a very very strong person and he will live on in you and your family and maybe your experience will help someone like me one day when the ultimate happens my life... take care of your self. Michelle
ReplyDeleteHey Julie Here I sit turkey hunting near your Dad's new deerstand that he built last june at my cabin and didnt get to use. He said he coudn't wait till deer season. Sure miss him. It just shows you never take for granted anytime you can spend with family and friends. Thursday and Friday we were in I Cumberland turkey hunting and spring cleaning we sure missed him he would of been there with us to help or lead us. My Dad passed in 2004 and we dont forget there will alaways be a place for him and Mom in our heart. Take care John
ReplyDeleteIt does get better as time goes by but you will always miss your father. The ache will subside, and the tears will turn to a small grin as you think about your dad. Its not easy, just more bearable. Remember we are here for you. Clay
ReplyDelete