Tuesday, November 16, 2010

On Marriage and The Deal

Today is my parents' 42nd wedding anniversary.  For their anniversary, they went together to Georgetown for Dad's radiation treatment.  Whoa, back it down there, Mr. and Mrs. Fancy Pants!  You're making the regular cards and flowers crowd look bad. :)   But seriously, folks.  I don't really think that it matters that much to them if they get to go out to a fancy dinner. They are together and I think that is truly enough for them.

It makes me reflect on my own marriage.  I think that Jeff and I have a good marriage.  We laugh a lot.  But it takes work.  Lord, almighty, its hard work.  I am certainly not trying to hand out marriage advice here.  What works for some couldn't possibly work for others. 

In our house, nighttime brings a battle.  It is all based on The Deal.  The Deal was struck many years ago.  The Deal is mutually beneficial.  Or it is supposed to be, anyway.  The Deal is this:  I get complete control of the remote control and Jeff gets his back rubbed until he falls asleep.  For many years The Deal has worked beautifully.  Occasionally, though, one or the other of us doesn't feel like keeping up their end of The Deal.  Battle lines are drawn.  Leg locks are issued.  Armpit hair is pulled.  Wedgies are given.  Giggling ensues.  Then, eventually The Deal is upheld.  I watch the Daily Show and Jeff drifts off to lala land.

I'm not gonna lie, though.  Sometimes I'd like to be the one getting the back rub.  I can always catch Jon Stewart online the next day.  But it is all about compromise, everything is negotiable, right?  Well, everything except The Deal.

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment