Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Veteran's Day

It is the Soldier
Father Dennis Edward O'Brien
 
It is the Soldier,
not the reporter, who has given us freedom of press.

It is the Soldier,
not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier,
not the campus organizer, who gives us freedom to demonstrate.

It is the Soldier
who salutes the flag,
who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.

On the eve of this Veteran's Day, I would like to share my sincere gratitude and acknowledge those in my family who have served or are currently serving in our Armed Forces.  One day a year is not enough to show the respect you deserve and honor your service.
 
  • For Mon Oncle Paul Demers, who served in the United States Army.  Thank you for sacrifice and service.  You are the finest example for the children of this family.
 
  • For Mon Oncle Michel Demers, who served in the United States Air Force.  Thank you for your sacrifice and service.  You are one of the most honorable men I know.
 
  • For Mon Oncle Daniel Demers who served in the United States Navy.  Thank you for your sacrifice and service.  (I will always remember our trip to the recruiter's office and getting Frisbees.)  You are honest and true.

  • For Mon Oncle Richard Demers who serves with the United States Coast Guard.  Thank you for your sacrifice and service.  You are resilient and noble.

  • For my cousin Duane Demers who served in the United States Navy.  Thank you for your sacrifice and service.  You are inspiring.

  • For my favorite niece, Kristin Beasley who is currently serving in the United States Army.  Thank you for your sacrifice and service.  You are beautiful, strong and stubborn and I can't think of anyone better suited to fight for my freedoms.
When I see each of you at family functions, I think only of you as Uncle, Cousin, Niece.  Today, I remember that you are so much more than that.  When I see you next, you will get an extra hug from me.  A great big one. That one is for the Solider from the American who is grateful and proud to call you family.


To all soldiers, past, present and future:
Thank you



4 comments:

  1. Julie, that was touching! It gave me goosebumps. I am going to pass this on to my dad. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcie, please do! And tell him that I love him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Mike said it is the first time someone thanks me for my service, when i came back from vietnam ppl in california were cussing us and throwing things at us.I wonder if these ppl today still feel the same way as they did then!! Then again they were from california, "weird people out there !!!!Again thank you Julie you are quite sweet and thoughtful and we all love you very much
    uncle Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can distinctly remember that trip to the recruiter's office w/Uncle Dan like it was not that long ago. In reality, probably 30+ years ago?

    ReplyDelete